University of Chicago SUPERgroup logo

How to Join the SUPERgroup

If you have questions about any of our work, or if you might want to work as part of the SUPERgroup, please reach out to Blase. Below, we have described the most likely avenues for joining the group based on your current affiliation:

Prospective PhD students

Consider applying to be a PhD student in the next admissions cycle. If you might be interested in working as part of the SUPERgroup, mention that you want to work with "Blase Ur" at some point in your personal statement. You get extra credit if you avoid spelling Blase's name as "Blaze" or "Blaise" or "Blasé."

Current UChicago undergraduates

We also often welcome University of Chicago undergraduates to work on, and sometimes lead, our ongoing research projects. One could either work for course credit (independent study) or work hourly at our standard rate for research assistants. Please feel free to get in touch if you might be willing to commit to a project for at least 6 months (after hearing about the project, of course).

Finally, University of Chicago undergraduates are welcome to complete fourth-year MS research projects as part of the UChicago SUPERgroup. In general, any projects that focus on computer security, privacy, or human-computer interaction are within scope. We used to have a list of projects, but it's basically always outdated. Please come talk to us, and we'll pitch some projects to you.

Non-UChicago undergraduates

We are usually not able to support research opportunities from undergrads at other institutions, but you're welcome to email Blase and ask.

High school students

On a case-by-case basis, we sometimes can support research summer visits from high school students in the Chicago Public School (CPS) system, often through programs like those the Office of Special Programs runs. If you are a CPS high school student, please feel free to get in touch. We usually cannot support research assistantships for students from outside the Chicago Public School system.

International visitors

Except in exceptional circumstances, we are unable to support international visitors to the SUPERgroup. The only exception is if we have common research connections (e.g., you have worked closely with a SUPERgroup collaborator).